You might have noticed that snake print is a big trend this season; head to any high street store and you’ll find it splashed across silk skirts and dresses (NB this looks FAB teamed with chunky knitwear). But much like leopard print, many of you might find snake print clothing a bit OTT for your own personal style. Which is where shoes and bags come into play.
1. Charles & Keith
3. & Other Stories
1. Charles & Keith croc-effect ballerinas, £39 ([AD] charleskeith.co.uk); 2. Aldo snake-effect ankle boots, ‘Oniravia’ £110 ([AD] aldoshoes.com); 3. & Other Stories croc-effect belt bag, £59 ([AD] stories.com)
Snake-effect shoes and bags – and their more subtle cousins in croc-effect – are a much less scary approach to this trend, partly because their ideal partner is the easiest thing to wear in the book: blue denim. This print looks great on everything from ankle boots to this season’s square toe ballerinas (8; I much prefer these to round toes, which always make me feel like I’m on my way to my own 8th birthday party!), as well as every shape of bag imaginable. I’m particularly taken with this & Other Stories belt bag (3), which is also available in black.
4. Anthropologie snake print ankle boots, £135 (anthropologie.com); 5. Ivylee ‘Stella’ croc-effect boots, £223 (ivyleecopenhagen.com); 6. Topshop panther clasp bag, £25 (topshop.com)
The peacocks amongst you will love the brighter coloured snake prints, like Topshop’s bag with snazzy panther clasp (6), Mango’s loafers (11), and Free People’s divine double buckle mules (7 and top). Minimalists will prefer either less busy croc-effects, or single shade snake; Ivylee’s ankle boots (5), and Kurt Geiger’s circle bag (12) are perfect for a more subtle look.
7. Free People ‘Albany’ flats, £168 (freepeople.com); 8. Zara square toe ballerinas, £25.99 (zara.com); 9. Cambridge Satchel Company bag, £60 ([AD] cambridgesatchel.com)
For everyone in-between, try snakes in shades of grey for a print that is as good as a neutral since it goes with pretty much everything. I love Massimo Dutti’s loafers (14) and ASOS’s rucksack (15), as well as this cross-body bag from Cambridge Satchel Company (9) which is currently half price. Try pairing with Breton stripes.
READ MORE: WHERE TO BUY THE MOST STYLISH VEGAN WINTER BOOTS
10. LK Bennett
12. Kurt Geiger
10. LK Bennett ‘Iliana’ navy croc-effect mules, £195 (lkbennett.com); 11. Mango snake-effect mules, £49.99 (mango.com); 12. Kurt Geiger ‘Richmond’ croc-effect bag, £129 (kurtgeiger.com)
As usual, there’s something for most budgets and styles here, so there should be something that’s perfect for you. Unless you hate snake-effect, in which case, probably not! Either way, I’d love to hear what you think of this trend. Leave comments below!
14. Massimo Dutti
13. Office ‘Florentine’ loafers, £65 ([AD] office.co.uk); 14. Massimo Dutti snake-effect loafers, £89.95 (massimodutti.com); 15. ASOS Design mini snake-effect rucksack, £35 ([AD] asos.com)